Contact Us

Get a Tax Deduction for Energy Efficiency

Did you know there’s a tax deduction of up to $1.80 per square foot for notably reducing energy and power costs in new or renovated government-owned buildings? Architects, engineers, and contractors may qualify for the 179D tax deduction. Seek guidance from our tax and financial advisors to learn more.

The 179D Energy Tax Deduction, Explained


    The 179D energy tax deduction (enacted as part of the Energy Policy Act of 2005) is an engineer-based tax incentive for significantly reducing energy and power costs in commercial buildings, specifically interior lighting, HVAC, and building envelopes. It allows for a tax deduction of up to $1.80 per square foot. The deduction may be claimed for new construction or improvements placed into service after Jan. 1, 2006.

    A Change in Accounting Method may be used for commercial building owners to take the deductions retroactively. Designers of government-owned buildings can take the IRS 179D tax deduction for all “open” tax years, which generally allows three years from the filing date (buildings placed in service earlier than that require an amended return).

    What Buildings Qualify?

    Many building types qualify for the 179D energy tax deduction, including everything from ground-up construction to improvements on existing buildings.

    • Commercial buildings of any type
    • Residential buildings of 4 stories or more
    • Government-owned buildings (such as courthouses, libraries, universities, transportation facilities)
    • Parking garages

    Who Can Benefit?

    If you own commercial or apartment buildings or are involved in the design of government buildings, you may qualify for the 179D tax deduction.

    • For-profit owners of commercial buildings
    • For-profit owners of apartment buildings that are 4 stories or more
    • Designers of government buildings (architects, engineers, ESCOs, and energy consultants)

    Certification Requirements

    We’ll help you determine if you qualify for the 179D tax deduction—here are the certification requirements:

    • The energy and power cost savings calculations must be performed with Department of Energy-approved software.
    • Field inspections must be performed after the energy-efficient property has been placed into service in accordance with NREL Guidelines.
    • Certifications and inspections must be completed by a qualified engineer or contractor in the jurisdiction of the qualifying building.
    • The taxpayer shall maintain the certification in their records to establish the entitlement to, and amount of, the deduction claimed.

    Save Up To $1.80 Per Square Foot of Improved Space

    The 179D tax deduction requires the taxpayer’s building to meet or exceed a 50% savings in energy and power costs when compared to a theoretical ASHRAE 90.1-2007 baseline building.

    $0.60 / Square Foot

    For construction or improvement of lighting systems that meet 25% savings.

    $0.60 / Square Foot

    For improvements relating to energy-efficient HVAC systems meeting 50% savings.

    $0.60 / Square Foot

    For building envelope systems (walls, windows, roofs, and doors) meeting 10% savings.


    179D Tax Deduction FAQs

    Does my CPA already do this?
    Do I have to get a certification to take the deduction?
    Does it matter when I take the 179D deduction?
    What if I didn’t take the deduction the year the building was finished?
    How much does it cost and how much will I save?

    What Our Clients Say

    Luca Sartori

    We really enjoyed working with Veritax Advisors; they provided us with significant value. We particularly appreciated that they inspected our property to get first-hand evidence of equipment and infrastructure.

    Other Tax Credits & Deductions

    Cost Segregation Study

    Real estate investors can increase depreciation deductions, reduce income tax liabilities, and maximize cash flow.

    R&D Tax Credit

    Companies can get a tax credit for developing lighter, faster, more durable, less expensive, more reliable, or more precise products.

    Tangible Property Regulations

    Property owners can expense some of their building-related expenditures, such as supplies or repairs, to reduce taxable income.

    U.S. Export Tax Incentive

    Export companies can take advantage of IC-DISC, which provides certain tax incentives for U.S.-based exporters.

    Energy Efficient Tax Incentive

    Building owners, architects, and engineers that go green can save green with the 179D tax deduction.

    Let’s Connect

    Start by scheduling a meeting for a free consultation. Let’s talk about the specialty tax programs that can equate to significant savings.